Important Current Affairs Topics For UPSC
UPSC Civil services examination is considered one of the toughest exams due to the vastness of its syllabus. Current affairs portion form a major chunk of the questions in both, Preliminary exam as well as Mains exam. Keeping yourself abreast with the current happenings and relating it to the static portions of geography, history, economy and polity is the best way to cover the syllabus efficiently.
Reading the newspaper on a regular basis is essential to crack the examination. Making short notes of the issues in news will come handy at the time of revision. One has to read the newspaper selectively and pay attention to only those areas related to UPSC syllabus in order to avoid wasting time on making notes on unnecessary topics.
Here is a list of important current affairs topics for UPSC Civil Services Examination:
- New government schemes: Important schemes such as Pradhan Mantri Gram Parivahan Yojana, Kisan SAMPADA Yojna, Pradhan Mantri Matritva Vandana Yojana etc.,
- National issues related to any article in the constitution such as Article 370, Article 28 etc.,
- Inter-state river water disputes. (Ex: Kaveri river water dispute)
- Amendments such as The Rights of Transgender Persons Bill, The Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act 2016, Surrogacy regulation bill 2017.
- Military exercises.
- One Rank One Pension.
- Uniform Civil Code in the context of the issue of Triple Talaq.
- Political parties and their funding in the light of introduction of electoral bonds.
- Use of Electronic Voting Machines in elections.
- Long-term and short-term effects of Goods and Services Tax on Economic Development/ GDP.
- Demonetization and its effects.
- Non-Performing Assets and its impact on the capital of Banks.
- The merger of Railway budget with an annual budget.
- Feasibility of Universal Basic Income in India.
- GEOGRAPHY AND ENVIRONMENT:
- Paris Climate Agreement.
- United Nation Convention to Combat Desertification.
- Draft National Food Processing Policy.
- SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY:
- GSLV Launches- in relation to internal security, scientific advancement and international relations.
- Internet Of Things and its benefit to common man.
- DISASTER MANAGEMENT:
- Uttar Pradesh and Bihar floods.
- Role of National Disaster Response Fund in Disaster Management.
- OTHER TOPICS:
- International Court of Justice, in the context of Kulbhushan Jhadav Case.
- Gorkhaland issue and demand for separate states.
- Organised crime and militancy.
- Ban on liquor sale within 500 meters of National Highways.
- UDAAN Scheme in the light of stimulation of regional connectivity, its impact along with the issues and concerns with respect to the scheme.
For a better understanding on UPSC exam, current affairs preparation, subscribe to our Byju’s YouTube Channel which provides tips and tricks to crack competitive examinations.